Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill "Papa" Lee

Is Baptism a necessary part of salvation according to the Bible?

92: Yes, he did:

95: Yes, if (s)he accepts a proxy baptism performed on his behalf in the House of the Lord. See D&C 137 & 138.

Yours under the obedient oaks,

Nathair /|\

ps. You may limit yourself if you wish, but I prefer to live by "every word which procedeth out of the mouth of God." (Matthew 4:4)

What you have shown from is not God's word . You could also quote the phone book

No need to rebutt. You haven't supported your position. Showing that other things are required for remission of sin doesn't of necessity eliminate baptism as also being a requirement.

There are 10 incidents of "remission" in the KJV. They are,

Matt. 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Luke 1:77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

Luke 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Rom. 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Heb. 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Heb. 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Can you show me where it says baptism isn't required?

If there are other ways how can it be a requirement? That would make it the ONLY way

Now don't get me wrong. I believe in baptism. I have been baptized. I believe everyone should be baptized

Baptism doesn't give one salvation. Baptism is part of being conformed into the image of Christ. A life-long work

Salvation is by Grace through belief/faith/trust. This is where we are grafted in. The fruit comes later

What you have shown from is not God's word . You could also quote the phone book

I don't know what definition of "God's word" you are using. I prefer to define it as "everything He says."

If there are other ways how can it be a requirement? That would make it the ONLY way

Now don't get me wrong. I believe in baptism. I have been baptized. I believe everyone should be baptized

Baptism doesn't give one salvation. Baptism is part of being conformed into the image of Christ. A life-long work

Salvation is by Grace through belief/faith/trust. This is where we are grafted in. The fruit comes later

What a beautiful strawman you have created. Vance affirmed that baptism is one of a set of requirements for a remission of sins, not that some people can be saved by being baptized and others can be saved some other way.

If you tell your kids that if they get straight As, you will take them hunting in Montana, does the fact that you require them to get an A in algebra mean that they don't also have to get an A in history if they are taking both classes? And is that trip really earned anyway since the reward is way out of proportion to the benefit you receive from their grades?

From My LDS JEDI KNIGHT Archive - http://www.angelfire...Ibebaptized.htm

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

Sweet!! I especially like this:

I have a friend in Prescott. When I told him my phone number, I told him it was 1-602-898-3651. Then I reminded him for emphasis, "Don

Nice... prove a negative... sure thing

How bout this

Luk 7:50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

No baptism here. Yet this woman is saved.

Baptism, Essential

• [*]Suffer it to be so now

How bout this

I read this account which actualy goes back to verse 37, the woman showed her True Faith by her labors of Love To Jesus in that brief encounter. Yes he forgave her but she may have sought out Baptism at a later time by one of Jesus Christ authorized servants. See my post #333 above for references to necessity of Baptism.

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

How bout this

I find it instresting that in context G4982 "sozo" (ie save) in this verse has a conotation of "healing", rather than that of "salvation" in the General sense of the word.

1) to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction

a) one (from injury or peril)

1) to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health

1) to preserve one who is in danger of destruction, to save or rescue

b) to save in the technical biblical sense

1) negatively

a) to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment

b) to save from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic deliverance

http://www.bluelette...ngs=G4982&t=KJV

A better understanding of this verse is that her faith "HEALED" her and nothing more.

Pa Pa,

Being one body of Christ, one church, doesn't eliminate disagreements among its members, because we are still imperfect sinners, still learning and growing. I feel no shame in that fact.

That is fine for manmade organizations, but will not do in

How bout this

1) Saved her from what?

2) How do you kow she wasn't baptized?

88. Water baptism is like the ring in a wedding. We use the term

In our lesson on Sunday in Priesthood it was noted in the lesson that Baptism was necessary for the remission of sin. When I debate this issue among Evangelicals they love to quote the Apostle Paul and Romans as evidence that this is not so

Why are you shouting?

Some people are still deaf!

I find it instresting that in context G4982 "sozo" (ie save) in this verse has a conotation of "healing", rather than that of "salvation" in the General sense of the word.

http://www.bluelette...ngs=G4982&t=KJV

A better understanding of this verse is that her faith "HEALED" her and nothing more.

I did not see Luke 7:50 Referenced on the above link. :P

In His Debt/Grace

Anakin7

LDS JEDI KNIGHT

Some people are still deaf!

That will no open their ears.