Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ray Callis Hatton III

YHWH said to cut down Asherah

I've been reading about how King Josiah's purge was terrible and made people forget about Asherah, but then I read in Exodus what looks like Moses and the Levites were told by the Lord to do the same thing, "But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their [asherah]" Exodus 34:13 So was the Lord set against Asherah?

I think that Exodus may have been pretty heavily redacted by the Deuteronomists (likely even in Josiah's time). Also the Canaanites did use asherot and had (or still) worshiped Asherah as a consort of El or Baal. This may have been blasphemous to the more correct worship of the Hebrews, or maybe she is not meant to be worshiped directly or represented with any outward symbols despite what the folk religion did.

I've been reading about how King Josiah's purge was terrible and made people forget about Asherah, but then I read in Exodus what looks like Moses and the Levites were told by the Lord to do the same thing, "But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their [asherah]" Exodus 34:13 So was the Lord set against Asherah?

"Their Asherah" ? "Our / My Ahserah"

The prohibition can also be found in Deuteronomy 12:3 "You must tear down their altars, shatter their sacred pillars, 1 burn up their sacred Asherah poles, 2 and cut down the images of their gods; you must eliminate their very memory from that place."

And...Deuteronomy 16:2 "You must not plant any kind of tree as a sacred Asherah pole 3 near the altar of the Lord your God which you build for yourself."

"Their Asherah" ? "Our / My Ahserah"

It almost sounds like something I hear all too often from Rocky Hulse. "The Mormon Jesus is not the same as the Jesus of Christianity."

In the epic battle of Elijah vs. the priest of Baal and Asherah, Elijah beats their butts soundly, yet, interestingly, he only kills the priests of Baal and not those of Asherah. Why?