Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Yukon

Abraham in an Egyptian funeral text?

Are the copies of the papyrus the church now owns anywhere on the internet for individuals to see and review them?

Guest The Headless Laban
Are the copies of the papyrus the church now owns anywhere on the internet for individuals to see and review them?

I have always found it interesting that the papyrus for facsimile 1 was torn the way it was. The jackal head, offering cup, and bird were all torn away perfectly, leaving the tips of the birds wings to look like fingers. The tear even dips down and then back up, just to make sure the bird was removed while leaving the finger-like tips. It was almost as if Joseph Smith's enemies had ripped out those pieces, and planted it in an attempt to bait Joseph Smith into restoring it incorrectly. Perhaps the same men who had the 116 page manuscript were responsible for damaging the Egyptian papyri to embarrass Joseph Smith. Has anyone looked into the background of Michael Chandler? What were his motives for selling the collection to Joseph? The critics argue his motives were simply money for his collection, but it could have been a trap for Joseph smith. Can Micheal Chandler be trusted? :P

I'm open to the idea that the prophet hacked the papyrus to bits in order to comply with his illustrations. Perhaps Joseph Smith made the lucanas. It was his papyrus and he could do what ever he wanted with it. Right?

I'm pretty sure there was originally a jackal head instead of a human head - but that doesn't take away from the story given by revelation.

Paul O

Random Catholic -

Serpents are associated with sin. Snakebites are associated with death, and sin is associated with Eternal Death.

I know I am coming late to this fascinating discussion, but, your assertion above is simply wrong. Serpents are associated with eternal life as they slough their skin and are renewed. The serpent of the Kundalini is associated with infinite wisdom and power. To the early Chrisitan Gnostics, the serpent was the light bringer and good deity in the Garden of Eden, helping Adam and Eve along in their eternal progression. Your interpretation is a late redacted Christian view, intended to be negative in order to fog the original goodness of the Serpents of antiquity. Even Jesus was associated with the serpent and identified as such when in the Garden of Eden teaching Eve the truth. The serpent as the Divine Phallus in perpetual erection, was the Tree of Life itself, the axis mundi of the universe, on which all creation revolved. The serpent is considered in many ancient traditions as the savior of mankind.

Indeed. If serpents were evil all the way around it seems unlikely that Moses would have put one on his pole in similitude of Christ!

Serpents aren't that bad. Just don't let one bite you.

Paul O