Seriously No Politics ×

"Sign of the fifth degree of the second part"

Will, it seems to me that the method of or reason for the erasure of the lower case "t" in the lower line and its being overwritten by the lower loop of the lower case "f" in the upper line are not particularly interesting questions.

What is interesting is the implication: that the "5th degree" material was an afterthought; it evidences that the writer is seeking to impose an artificial order upon an already existing text; it's evidence of an attempt to make cosmos out of chaos.

Will, it seems to me that the method of or reason for the erasure of the lower case "t" in the lower line and its being overwritten by the lower loop of the lower case "f" in the upper line are not particularly interesting questions.

What is interesting is the implication: that the "5th degree" material was an afterthought; it evidences that the writer is seeking to impose an artificial order upon an already existing text; it's evidence of an attempt to make cosmos out of chaos.

Yes, there are multiple implications of this finding, including the one you have observed.

With due respect, I recommend that you examine some early-19thC documents, and then learn the methods employed to examine them to better appreciate my questions posed to Will.

No.

You asked me a question. I answered it. Then I asked you one. You answer mine.

This is how conversations go, sir.

You don't gratuitously throw out insults to someone instead of answering questions.

You see, sir, I had absolutely no duty to answer your question, but I chose to do so since it pleased me to do so. Since you asked it, you invited an actual colloquy. So make with the colloquizing already.

Should you fail to answer, that seems pretty convincing evidence you haven't a clue how to go about answering it . . . that you have no clue how any other reasonable inference can be made from the evidence presented by Will, sir.

So, as Steven reported hearing from G-d's own mouth: "G-d says, 'Don't change the subject, and answer the f******* question!'"

And, with that, Metcalfe manages to generate 10 posts and yet say absolutely nothing of substance. In other words, business as usual.
It is a tale told by an idiot, all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Archived