Seriously No Politics ×

Why Packer's Parable Doesn't Work

Sargon

I always both liked and disliked President Packer's parable. Liked it because it presented a palpable view of the Atonement, allowing the hearer to understand the relief at having the burden unexpectedly lifted. This has the advantage of many people being able to thus better understand, especially since so many people have been or are in monetary debt.

But Sargon, I believe you hit the nail precisdely on the head. It isn't forgiveness in the parable -- not strictly anyway.

I wrote something about this a long time ago, which I won't reproduce here because it's a bit long, but in case anyone's interested it is posted on my personal website, here:

http://www.clarkmichael.com/Interests/Religion/TheAtonement/tabid/287/Default.aspx

Regarding the title of the thread, I printed Elder Packer's parable out on a sheet of typing paper, and crumpled it up into a ball so as to use it as a bookend. It didn't work. The books didn't stay in place, which was a bit frustrating. So, clearly there is at least one demonstrable way that Pres. Packer's parable doesn't work. But, as intimated earlier in the thread, I am not sure the parable was intended to work in every conceivable way, or even in the ways that it has now been found to not work.

However, it seems to work reasonably well in the limited way it was intended.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I agree. And your post made me laugh, too. Appreciated that.

** Isn't there a Bump option around here somewhere?

Archived