Seriously No Politics ×

The Priesthood Ban

Olavarria

That is admittedly one possible reading, but is it the only one? In other words, was President Kimball referring only to the fact that blacks could not at the time partake in the sealing ordinances?

For context, I'll repeat the quote here: "one survey reveals that about 90 percent of the temple marriages hold fast. Because of this, we recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background"

If so, why the references to background issues (education, economic, social, religion) other than race in the same quote?

Good question, I have no idea, since none of those have had any bearing on temple entry in 1976, save religion and race,. All I have to go on is what SWK said, and really, it's that 'Because of this' qualifier that links 'race of spouse' to temple entry. SWK also says that, "some of these are not necessary, but preferred".

It appears to me that, in 1976, race and religion were the only two things necessary for a temple marriage. Which leads to more questions - if the other factors are 'preferred', by whom are they preferred? Do other modern prophets and apostles preach that one should make sure that one's future spouse have similar educational, economic, social and racial backgrounds?

In my experience, I've only heard leaders counsel us to marry someone who is, at most, worthy to enter the temple, and at least, shares the same moral values that we do. I've never heard it said, other than in this one place, that spousal choice should be made based on other preferred factors.

And consider that President Kimball was giving this advice to black members as well as members of other races. It wasn't "we recommend that people of other races do not marry blacks (because they cannot at this time receive the sealing ordinances)" - it was (paraphrasing) "we recommend that everyone (blacks, whites, hispanics, asians, etc.) marry into their own racial (cultural?), educational, social, economic, and faith background".

Well, I've hesitated to put too much spin on what SWK said, but since others have, maybe I, too, have been granted some license. Perhaps SWK was sensitive to the social climate of the time, and didn't want to draw attention to black/white intermarriages, and so he just covered all of them with one phrase. Of course, I can't know this anymore than anyone else can know if their own interpretation is correct.

H.

Good question, I have no idea, since none of those have had any bearing on temple entry in 1976, save religion and race,.
Which would indicate then that President Kimball was addressing general marriage issues, not just those that relate to being able to participate in temple sealings.

The "Because of this..." phrase seems to me to be Pres. Kimball's jumping off point, rather than something meant to restrict the applicability of his advice.

It appears to me that, in 1976, race and religion were the only two things necessary for a temple marriage.
If by "religion" you mean "temple worthiness" and by "race" you mean "a lineage not of sub-Saharan African descent".
Which leads to more questions - if the other factors are 'preferred', by whom are they preferred?
I believe the sense is that they are to be preferred by the membership of the Church because they generally lead to beneficial results (making more lasting marriages easier).
Do other modern prophets and apostles preach that one should make sure that one's future spouse have similar educational, economic, social and racial backgrounds?
Essentially yes, since the Aaronic preisthood manual linked to earlier in this thread does so.

Note that the OT stories which include marrying within the faith and into the same people/culture (like Isaac and Jacob) are also taught regularly.

Archived