Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

livy111us

Zelph in relation to Book of Mormon Geography

I found this on the FAIRblog and thought it was very interesting:

In June of 1834 during Zions Camp march to Missouri, human bones were discovered in a mound by a few of the members of the march about a foot underneath the surface. Joseph Smith stated that these were the bones of Zelph, a white Lamanite. Seven members of the camp recorded the experience that day, each one differing from the rest. Dr. Lund quotes from Kenneth Godfrey that all the accounts agree on the following points:

Since Zelph is described as a Lamanite, that might just mean he's a native american and not connected to the Book of Mormon.

Zelph lived in the "land northward".

The Nephites viewed the complet Nephite homeland from southeast (the hill Cumorah) to North west (the Rocky Mountains).

There is nothing in the Zelph story which would preclude the LGT, Mesoamerica, as the land of the BOM.

Do we know where Zelph's remains are at? Would be a great opportunity to do some DNA-testing...

Do we know where Zelph's remains are at? Would be a great opportunity to do some DNA-testing...

(Bonus points for each book you can identify on his bookshelves. I see "Doctrines of Salvation" and a 1966 2nd Edition Mormon Doctrine to the left of his head. Also one of McConkie's "Messiah" books up and to the right of his head. "Doctrinal NT Commentary" bottom shelf on the left.)

Is the story of Zelph a top-ten LDS story? I believe so...doesn't really get much better.

(Bonus points for each book you can identify on his bookshelves. I see "Doctrines of Salvation" and a 1966 2nd Edition Mormon Doctrine to the left of his head. Also one of McConkie's "Messiah" books up and to the right of his head. "Doctrinal NT Commentary" bottom shelf on the left.)

I see Elder Holland's book on Jesus Christ & the BoM, Roberts' History of the Church (paperback), Medication Guidebook for Healthy Aging (LOL), an Atlas of the Bible, I think the 3 brown volumes are the Doctrines of Salvation, there's a set of scriptures on his table - man, now I'm not paying attention to what he's saying...