Seriously No Politics ×

Whence cometh Eve?

Ron Beron

I think it was BY who pooh poohed the idea that God literally scooped up some mud/clay and fashioned the physical form of a man. Of course that is the question, how did the physical body come about?, for which there are no details given in LDS doctrine and scripture.

I can't find this online, but I have a photocopy of Brigham Young's October 8, 1854 discourse where he says:

...Moses made the Bible to say this wife was taken out of his side - was made of one of his ribs. I do not know anything to the contrary of my ribs being equal on both sides. The Lord knows if I had lost a rib for each wife I have, I should have had none left long ago...

Now about that rib. As for the Lord taking a rib out of Adam's side to make a woman of, he took one out of my side just as much.

"But," Brother Brigham, "would you make it appear that Moses did not tell the truth?"

No not a particle more that I would that your mother did not tell the truth, when she told you that little Billy came form a hollow toad stool. I wold not accuse your mother of lying any more than I would Moses; the people in the days of Moses wanted to know things that were not for them - the same as your children do when they want to know where their little brother came from, and he answered them according to their folly, the same as you did your children.

Now some will be ready to say, "We always heard these Mormons did not believe the Bible." I believe all the truth that there is there and that is enough for me, and for you to believe.

"Then the Lord did not make Adam out of the dust of the earth."

Yes he did, but I have not got to that part of my discourse yet. Adam was made of the dust of the earth.

"Was he made of the dust of this earth?"

No, but of the dust of the earth whereon he was born in the flesh; that is the way he was made - he was made of dust.

"Did the Lord put into him his spirit?"

Yes, as the Lord put into you your spirit; he was begotten of a father, and brought forth as you and I were; and so are all intelligent beings brought forth from eternity to eternity. Man was not made the same as you make an adobe to put in a wall. Moses said Adam was made of the dust of the ground, but he did not say of what ground. I say ha was not made of the dust of the ground of this earth, but he was made of the dust of the earth where he lived, where he honored his calling, believe in his savior, or elder brother, and by his faithfulness, was redeemed and got a glorious resurrection...

The more I come to realize how central marriage is to God's plan and why it is such an important piece the more I lean towards understanding that when Adam and Eve were created husband and wife - that is they were married by God - does not necessarily have to also mean they came into existence at that same time and not prior, or IOW, it does not mean that was the first physical creation of the hominid creature, but that when the two individuals we now call Adam and Eve were married by God and made a covenant with Him, they became the first man and woman and became Adam in title and Eve in title. Its not easy to articulate and I'm not sure that what I just wrote is entirely clear, but I have not found an inconsistency with it and scripture nor with what is taught in temples.

I believe Eve had biological parents which were homo sapiens, who in turn descended from a long line of preAdamite homo sapiens which species evolved from lower forms of life. Eve's spirit is of course, a literal child of God.

Is there anything scriptural that brings you to this or is it purely scientific?

Pseudoscientific

Archived