Seriously No Politics ×

Genesis 9

Woody

We are studying the LDS Standard Works, a chapter a day.

Please post your thoughts on this chapter, commentary written by others on topics related to this chapter, related passages from other chapters, etc. We all benefit from discussion.

As a stimulus to study, see if you can figure out why this quotation is relevant to this chapter:

What's the proper salutation between people as they pass

each other in this flood? -Buddha

======================

Genesis 9

1 AND God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.

3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.

6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

7 And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.

i like the Joseph Smith translation of Gen Chapter 9

4 And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord, and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar; and gave thanks unto the Lord, and rejoiced in his heart. 5 And the Lord spake unto Noah, and he blessed him. And Noah smelled a sweet savor, and he said in his heart; 6 I will call on the name of the Lord, that he will not again curse the ground any more for man

It seems very mysterious that the rainbow was placed in the clouds after the Flood. What did sunlight do before that? Did the laws of physics change? or did conditions change? Was there some component in airborne mist that is not there now? For instance, gas of some kind in the atmosphere? Were the skies almost always overcast so there was rarely any direct sunlight seen? Was there a change made to people's eyes so that they could see color?

Yea, wouldn't it be nice to understand that, as one of the signs of the second coming is that there will be a year without rainbows. We've always thought of it as a year without rain --- no fun surely. But what if it is some other change?

It seems very mysterious that the rainbow was placed in the clouds after the Flood. What did sunlight do before that? Did the laws of physics change? or did conditions change? Was there some component in airborne mist that is not there now? For instance, gas of some kind in the atmosphere? Were the skies almost always overcast so there was rarely any direct sunlight seen? Was there a change made to people's eyes so that they could see color?

I don't see any conclusive evidence that this was the first rainbow, only that it became a symbol of the covenant. I think such is related to...

And the Gods organized the lights in the expanse of the heaven, and caused them to divide the day from the night; and organized them to be for signs and for seasons, and for days and for years;

Abraham 4:14

In other words, they have always existed since the creation of the universe billions of years ago and God will reveal the meaning of the sign when the time is right.

Archived