Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

volgadon

A Sobering Quote on Biblical Archaeology

With the bible, it can be approached from both reason (geographical) and faith.

Those who approach it with reason remain atheist or agnostic.

They probably approach it in the same way you would Troy.

Correction, a language related to the one spoken by Jesus. Hey, I can speak one of the BoM languages, if we want to play that game.

Since I can't quote what I watched in regards to what I was told..........fine. If someone mentioned to language during Jesus' time, all I can do is confirm that's what was said. Oh well.

Since I can't quote what I watched in regards to what I was told..........fine. If someone mentioned to language during Jesus' time, all I can do is confirm that's what was said. Oh well.

and that is what one gets for not doing even an elementary follow up.

A simple google search will reveal that there are many kinds of Aramaic, that Jesus spoke a form of western, whereas both Chladean and Assyrian neo-Aramaic are more recent developements of eastern Aramaic, which are very different to even the Jewish eastern aramaic dialects.

and that is what one gets for not doing even an elementary follow up.

A simple google search will reveal that there are many kinds of Aramaic, that Jesus spoke a form of western, whereas both Chladean and Assyrian neo-Aramaic are more recent developements of eastern Aramaic, which are very different to even the Jewish eastern aramaic dialects.

thank you for dealing with my laziness......I'm trying to find out which form of Aramaic it may have been but I'm not being too enthusiastic this new years eve.

From the references I can find, the area in question seem to ruled by the Chaldeons due to the fall of the Assyrians (Ninevah) after 612 B.C.

So the language at that time would have been some form of Chaldean Aramaic. I have no real interest in confirming if that is the same Aramaic spoken by Jesus or not but obviously it peaaked my interest to be told that this bishop spoke Aramaic and I didn't keep in mind that it may have been a different dialect. Hmmm.....

:P

I don't know what CARM is but I was responding to Bsix's statement:

"Faithful acceptance of the Bible on the basis of spiritual witness and trust is not a part of the traditional Christian formula."

I challenge that statement. If you believe the statement is true then provide a basis for your belief.

To which I gave an example of a Christian saying archeology was more important than a spiritual witness.