Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gitxsanartist

Zelph Revisited and the LGT

If we were to find a signpost that said "Zarahemla ahead: a day-and-a-half journey for a Nephite", it would prove beyond question that the Book of Mormon is true, not because Zerahemla would thus be proven to have existed, but that Joseph did not (nor could have) make it up, and it existed anyway.

Actually, what we would probably find would be an inscription which, after the best linguists had tackled it and played around with it, would read somthing like, 'Tsahra'englah ahead: a day-and-a-half journey for a person descended from Niip'ii,' and most people, as Gervin himself has already admitted, would just roll their eyes once again at those crazy and disreputable Mormon apologists who go mad finding random coincidences here, there, and everywhere...like that proves anything. Vested 'scholars' would be pointing out that, out of all the placenames in the Western Hemisphere, inevitably some would have sounded something like 'Zarahemla,' and they'd probably hunt up a river in the northern Yukon or somewhere with a name almost as close just to show that the name itself means nothing. The same would happen with the personal name, and more arguments would be made about how the correlation between the two names was really just more coincidence. At the end of the day, no one would be moved, and nothing would be 'proved beyond question' because people who don't want to believe always have questions.

I can believe in a River Sidon if I'm persuaded by academic (and possibly other) findings. But I'm confident that the location of that river - and other findings for that matter - would not be enough to make me join the LDS Church. Those reasons are off-topic but call it anything - call it spite.

See? We could unearth a monument engraven by 'Nephi, son of Lehi,' and absolutely nothing would change. We could unearth a 'tower' erected by one Benjamin, King of the Nephites, and nothing would change. We could locate Nahom in the Arabian Peninsula in exactly the location the Book of Mormon suggests we should, and nothing would change.

See? We could unearth a monument engraven by 'Nephi, son of Lehi,' and absolutely nothing would change. We could unearth a 'tower' erected by one Benjamin, King of the Nephites, and nothing would change. We could locate Nahom in the Arabian Peninsula in exactly the location the Book of Mormon suggests we should, and nothing would change.

I have a hunch that if the book of Zenock was unearthed in Egypt somewhere, there would be many who would take a 2nd look at the BOM.

And given the law of witnesses, I suspect these records to come forth at some point...

I have a hunch that if the book of Zenock was unearthed in Egypt somewhere, there would be many who would take a 2nd look at the BOM.

I'd personally prefer the Book of Zenos. And some would probably take a second look, but many, many others simply wouldn't care. Of those who sort of cared, many would read the latest research about how the Young Joseph Smith probably learnt about Zenos from a travelling Jew who had a background in Kabbala or from a book which maybe just might have been in the ever-expanding Palmyra Public Library. Others would read Sunstone articles showing how the inevitable discrepancies between BoM Zenos and Egyptian Zenos are too great to overcome or claiming that all similarities are merely, once again, coincidences, Joseph Smith having guessed some things right based on his intimate familiarity with the writings of the Old Testament.

And I suspect this is how it should be.

I think some things would change and, as I said, some people would take a new or renewed interest in the church. It might be enough to get people to join. Of the three examples, above, I assume you believe you've got one of the three. I think you're exaggerating for effect; 3 altars with reference to a "NHM" tribe were found in a temple. I don't believe you have a specific location for Nahom. That's my take on what I've read on the topic. Verifiable finds in Mesoamerica would be impressive ...

I'd personally prefer the Book of Zenos. And some would probably take a second look, but many, many others simply wouldn't care. Of those who sort of cared, many would read the latest research about how the Young Joseph Smith probably learnt about Zenos from a travelling Jew who had a background in Kabbala or from a book which maybe just might have been in the ever-expanding Palmyra Public Library. Others would read Sunstone articles showing how the inevitable discrepancies between BoM Zenos and Egyptian Zenos are too great to overcome or claiming that all similarities are merely, once again, coincidences, Joseph Smith having guessed some things right based on his intimate familiarity with the writings of the Old Testament.

And I suspect this is how it should be.

Alas, it is a pattern isn't it.

But the promises about further records establishing the truth of both the BOM and bible are there, and I feel it will help the cause.

2 Nephi 29:

11 For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.

12 For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it.

13 And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews.