Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No Touch

Second Annointing/Endowment

I'm just wondering, as a faithful and curious LDS, are there any official sources of information on this Temple ordinance? I would rather not simply rely on 2nd or 3rd hand accounts (even if respectful) that are published online by non-members.

I'm just wondering, as a faithful and curious LDS, are there any official sources of information on this Temple ordinance? I would rather not simply rely on 2nd or 3rd hand accounts (even if respectful) that are published online by non-members.

I found "The Mysteries of Godliness" to be a decent source. Not perfect, but good.

I found "The Mysteries of Godliness" to be a decent source. Not perfect, but good.

I have the book. Far from official, sp. Here's an interesting link that mentions Second Anointings blog

HiJolly

Read From Heart to Heart by Elder Nelson, you can get a first hand account of second annointings. For that very reason, though, the book is out of publication, there are only 500 copies, and the only libraries I know that have the book are the Harold B. Lee library and the Library of Congress. I was at the Library of Congress this weekend and got to see the book for myself. It is a great autobiography.

I think the best you can do is go to your Stake President, tell him you've been faithful for decades, done all within your power to sustain, support and defend the Church and are interested in knowing more about the promise made in the introductory comments of the endowment - the part about being "if you are faithful". Remind him that the scriptures continually mention asking and receiving, and so in faith you are following that formula, and are now asking. You and your wife, of course. Don't leave her out.

Let us know how it goes.

HiJolly

Read From Heart to Heart by Elder Nelson, you can get a first hand account of second annointings. For that very reason, though, the book is out of publication, there are only 500 copies, and the only libraries I know that have the book are the Harold B. Lee library and the Library of Congress. I was at the Library of Congress this weekend and got to see the book for myself. It is a great autobiography.

It doesn't really give an account of the ordinance though. This is all it says:

June 4-- . . . President Spencer W. Kimball called me in to

notify me that Dantzel and I were to report to the temple on June

June 9--Dantzel and I were privileged to enter the temple on

this Sabbath day to attend a special meeting at the invitation of

President Spencer W. Kimball. The sacred nature of this event

precludes our mentioning more about it here other than to say that

it did take place, but this experience is of the greatest

importance to us and to our family.

As far as official sources of information, the scriptures are one source, but you have to know what to look for. The endowment ceremony itself is another. I asked Francis Gibbons about second anointings one time - I actually asked if it were an essential ordinance for exaltation. He said he couldn't really discuss it, but to listen carefully the next time I went to the temple.

There really aren't any official sources for this information.

Now, if you are willing to look at unofficial stuff, there is a very detailed first hand account that can be found with minimal Google searching. There is also at least one, and possibly more, articles about it in either Dialogue or Sunstone (I read the one article, but I can't remember which periodical it was in).

EDIT: Dialogue article is here (p. 10): http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document....p;CISOPTR=18347

Wikipedia also has an entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_anointing

I've been considering getting that book. Was it good? Do you recommend it?

I've been considering getting that book. Was it good? Do you recommend it?

I do recommend it. It is well-researched. It does treat the temple in an academic sense and so people who are a bit squeemish about reading temple ordinance details should probably avoid it.

One of the most interesting things I found is how open members were about discussing the temple ceremony -- in detail -- in the late 19th century. I think it would be an interesting study to find out when this discussion became taboo in Mormon culture.

I mean, technically speaking, the only covenant of secrecy is in relation to the specific nature of signs and tokens. In the past, it seems that members and leaders freely discussed pretty much everything about the temple *except* the specific nature of the signs and tokens. Everything else was fair game.

I do recommend it. It is well-researched. It does treat the temple in an academic sense and so people who are a bit squeemish about reading temple ordinance details should probably avoid it.

One of the most interesting things I found is how open members were about discussing the temple ceremony -- in detail -- in the late 19th century. I think it would be an interesting study to find out when this discussion became taboo in Mormon culture.

I mean, technically speaking, the only covenant of secrecy is in relation to the specific nature of signs and tokens. In the past, it seems that members and leaders freely discussed pretty much everything about the temple *except* the specific nature of the signs and tokens. Everything else was fair game.

Thanks for the review. Matthew Brown give the book a terrible review in the FARMS Review. I may order it through inter-library loan before I pay for it.

You are right, I think, in that we only covenant to never reveal 4 or 5 sets of tokens and signs. I think the fact that the rest of the temple ceremony is generally not talked about outside of the temple is due to the fact that it is so closely associated with those few things that we covenant not to reveal. I have noticed a hyper-sensitivity among some members to talking about it, and I've seen the other extreme of the spectrum as well.

The best source, in my opinion, is Andrew F. Ehat's master's thesis from 1981. PM me and I might be able to give you some advice on where to locate a copy.

Does it strike anyone as odd that such a question must be asked? Hear we have a saving ordinance that is hidden not only from the world, but from most of the membership. I find this very strange.

Sending people on goose chases I see. :P No. As shown by kamenraider, there is very little detail in Nelson's autobiography.

I agree with Seth that "Mysteries of Godliness" is a great resource. I would also suggest Anderson and Bergera' "Joseph Smith's Quorum of the Anointed 1842-1845" and "The Nauvoo Endowment Companies 1845-1846." All three of these publications have boatloads of information about the second anointing. Ok... maybe not boatloads. But the amount of information is FAR more massive than what is found in Nelson's autobiography.

Thanks for the review. Matthew Brown give the book a terrible review in the FARMS Review.

I think most of us could've guessed that. <sigh> Nevermind, I don't want to get started on Matt.

HiJolly

I think most of us could've guessed that. <sigh>
\

Hear hear! :P

...Unlike the endowment or temple marriage, the second anointing is not regarded as essential for salvation. ...

In spite of Harold B. Lee's misleading comment to Tvedtnes, that is not correct:

"If a man gets a fullness of the priesthood of God he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord."

--Joseph Smith TPJS pg. 308.

I do not care what office you hold in the Church -- you may be an apostle, you may be a patriarch, a high priest, or anything else -- but you cannot receive the fullness of the priesthood and the fullness of eternal reward unless you receive the ordinances of the house of the Lord; and when you receive these ordinances, the door is then open so you can obtain all the blessings which any man can gain.

Do not think because someone has a higher office in the Church than you have that you are barred from receiving the fullness of the Lord's blessings. You can have them sealed upon you as an elder, if you are faithful; and when you receive them, and live faithfully and keep these covenants, you then have all that any man can get.

There is no exaltation in the kingdom of God without the fullness of the priesthood, and every man who receives the Melchizedek Priesthood does so with an oath and a covenant that he shall be exalted.

--President Joseph Fielding Smith Improvement Era, June 1970, pgs.65-66, or Conference Report, April 1970, pgs. 58-60.

edit: Well, I guess it's not necessary for salvation in the Celestial Kingdom, but it is essential for exaltation in the highest degree of that kingdom.

\

Hear hear! :P

Please stay on topic

Thanks for the review. Matthew Brown give the book a terrible review in the FARMS Review. I may order it through inter-library loan before I pay for it.

You are right, I think, in that we only covenant to never reveal 4 or 5 sets of tokens and signs. I think the fact that the rest of the temple ceremony is generally not talked about outside of the temple is due to the fact that it is so closely associated with those few things that we covenant not to reveal. I have noticed a hyper-sensitivity among some members to talking about it, and I've seen the other extreme of the spectrum as well.

Well, with Signature Books you know what you are going to get: naturalistic explanations and interpretations of Mormon history. Some of what they publish is compelling and some of it isn't.