Photo
- - - - -

The 1843 And 1844 Ordinations Of Joseph Smith As Kingthe 1843 And 1844 Ordinations Of Joseph Smith As King

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stn9

stn9

Separates Light & Dark

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:53 PM

Note: Pahoran started a thread issuing a CFR to John Larsen to support his statement in another thread wherein he stated that Joseph Smith "declar[ed] himself king of the world." The topic is both fascinating and important irrespective of John's ability to provide a reference, so I've started this new thread on the documents that pertain to the topic of Joseph Smith's ordinations as king, focusing more but not exclusively on the April 1844 ordination. If you have or know of a document not listed below that is pertinent to this discussion, please reply here or PM me.

The Issue
Joseph Smith was ordained a "king" on two known occasions: first on 28 September 1843, and then again on 11 April 1844. Some have stated (here on this board, in print, and to me personally) that the April 1844 ordination was a self-appointment as king of the world, evidence of Joseph Smith's growing megalomania.

The Questions
â?¢ Why was he ordained as a king?
â?¢ Why was he ordained twice?
â?¢ What was the significance of these ordinations to the Prophet and those closest to him?

I've compiled a quick list of the sources I think I'll use in discussing these questions. Most are somewhere and in some form available online or electronically if you want to read up, but I'll post some of them after the original post.

Scriptural Sources
â?¢ Revelation 1:6; 5:10
â?¢ JST Genesis 14 (1831)
â?¢ D&C 76:56 (1832)
â?¢ JST Revelation 12:1-7 (c. 1832-33)

Historical Sources
â?¢ Wilford Woodruff Journal, 6 August 1843
â?¢ Notes of the 27 August 1843 sermon (various sources in The Words of Joseph Smith)
â?¢ William Clayton Journal, 11 April 1844
â?¢ Lyman Wight, Letter to Joseph Smith, 19 June 1844
â?¢ William Clayton Journal, 1 January 1845
â?¢ William Marks, Letter to Beloved Brethren, 1853 [check source title]
â?¢ Revelation to John Taylor, 27 June 1882
â?¢ Franklin D. Richards Journal, 4 February 1885

Again, if you have or know of a document not listed above that is pertinent to this discussion, please contribute! :P

Edited by stn9, 27 August 2008 - 02:17 PM.

#2 stn9

stn9

Separates Light & Dark

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

Wilford Woodruff Journal, 6 August 1843
Church Archives, typescript from microfilm of original
...He [Brigham Young] also remarked in Conversation or inquired who had the Melchezedek priesthood[,] that if any in the Church had it he did not know it[;] for any person to have the fulness of that priesthood [he] must be a King & a Priest...

Joseph Smith Diary, 27 August 1843
The Words of Joseph Smith, 27 Aug 1843

...Read 7th Hebrews.

3 grand orders of priesthood referred to here.

1st. King of Shiloamâ??power & authority over that of Abraham holding the key & the power of endless life.â??angels desire to look into it, but they have set up to many stakes. God cursed the children of Israel because they would not receive the last law from Moses.â??

by the offering of Isaac.â??if a man would attainâ??he must sacrifice all to attain to the keys of the kingdom of an endless life

What was the power of Melchise**** twas not P. of Aaron &c. a king & a priest to the most high God. a perfect law of Theocracy holding keys of power & blessings. stood as God to give laws to the people. administering endless lives to the sons and daughters of Adam

Kingly powers. of anointing.â??Abram says Melchisedek.â??away I have a priesthood.â??

Salvation could not come to the world without the mediation of Jesus Christ.

how shall God come to the rescue of this generation. he shall send Elijah law revealed to Moses in Horebâ??never was revealed to the C. of Israel and he shall reveal the covenants to seal the hearts of the fathers to the children and the children to the fathers.â??anointing & sealing called elected and made sure

without father &c. a priesthood which holds the priesthood by right from the Eternal Gods.â??and not by descent from father and mother

2d Priesthood, patriarchal authority finish that temple and God will fill it with power.

3d Priesthood. Levitical Priest

Priests made without an oath but the Priesthood of Melchisedek is by oath and covenant...

Franklin D. Richards "Words of the Prophets"

A sermon of Josephs Heb 7 chap

There are 3 grand principles or orders of Priesthood portrayed in this chapter

1st Levitical which was never able to administer a Blessing but only to bind heavy burdens which neither they nor their father were able to bear

2 Abrahams Patriarchal power which is the greatest yet experienced in this church

3d That of Melchisedec who had still greater power even power of an endless life of which was our Lord Jesus Christ which also Abraham obtained by the offering of his son Isaac which was not the power of a Prophet nor apostle nor Patriarch only but of King & Priest to God to open the windows of Heaven and pour out the peace & Law of endless Life to man & No man can attain to the Joint heirship? 24 with Jesus Christ with out being administered to by one having the same power & Authority of Melchisedec? ...

James Burgess Notebook

Hebrewes 7 chap. Paul is here treating of three different preisthoods, namely the preisthood of Aron, Abraham, and Melchizedeck, Abraham's preisthood was of greater power than Levi's and Melchizedeck's was of greater power than that of Abraham. The preisthood of Levi consisted of cursings and -b-l-e-s-s-i-n-g-s- carnal commandments and not of blessings and if the preisthood of this generation has no more power than that of Levi or Aron or of a bishhoprick it administers no blessings but cursings for it was an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. I ask was there any sealing power attending this preisthood. -O-h- -n-o- that would admit a man into the presence of God. Oh no, but Abraham's was a more exalted power or preisthood he could talk and walk with God and yet consider how great this man was when even this patriarch Abraham gave a tenth part of all his spoils and then received a blessing under the hands of Melchesideck even the last law or a fulness of the law or preisthood which constituted him a king and preist after the order of Melchesideck or an endless life Now if Abraham had been like the sectarian world and would not have received any more revelation, what would have been the consequence it would have damned him....

William Clayton Journal, 11 April 1844
Andrew F. Ehat, "'It Seems Like Heaven Began on Earth': Joseph Smith and the Constitution of the Kingdom of God," BYU Studies, 20:3:267

Thursday, April 11.... Afterwards in the Council. We had a glorious interview. Pres. J. was voted our P[rophet]. P[riest]. & K[ing]. with loud Hosannas...

William Clayton Journal, 1 January 1845
Ehat, "Constitution of the Kingdom," BYU Studies, 20:3:268

Reflections. Jan. 1st 1845

...The organization of the Kingdom of God on 11 March last is one important event. This organization was called the Council of Fifty or Kingdom of God, and was titled by revelation as follows, 'Verily thus saith the Lord, this is the name by which you shall be called, the Kingdom of God and his Laws, with the Keys and power thereof, and judgment in the hands of his servants. Ahman Christ.' In this Council was the plan arranged for supporting Pres. Jos. Smith as a candidate for the presidency of the U.S. Prest Joseph was the standing chairman of the council and myself the Clerk. In this Council was also devised the plan of establishing an emigration to Texas, and plans laid for the exaltation of a standard and ensign of truth for the nations of the earth. In this council was the plan devised to restore the Ancients to the Knowledge of the truth and the restoration of Union and peace amongst ourselves. In this Council was Prest Joseph chosen our Prophet. Priest and King by Hosannas. In this Council was the principles of eternal truth rolled forth to the heavens without reserve and the hearts of the servants of God made to rejoice exceedingly...

William Marks Letter, 1853
Zion's Harbinger and Baneemy's Organ, 3 [July 1853]: 53 (what a cool title!)

...I was also witness of the introduction (secretly) of a kingly form of government, in which Joseph suffered himself to be ordained a king, to reign over the house of Israel forever; which I could not conceive to be in accordance with the laws of the church, but I did not oppose this move, thinking it none of my business....

Revelation to John Taylor, 27 June 1882
John Taylor Papers, Church Archives, typescript from microfilm of original

...I raised up my servant, Joseph Smith, to introduce my Gospel, and to build up my Church, and established my Kingdom on the earth; ... He was called by me; and empowered by me, and sustained by me to introduce and establish my Church and Kingdom upon the earth; and to be a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator to my Church and Kingdom, and to be a King and Ruler over Israel...

Franklin D. Richards Journal, 4 February 1885
D. Michael Quinn, "The Council of Fifty and Its Members, 1844 to 1945," BYU Studies 20:2:163

At 8 p.m. attended Council at Endowment House where we had prayers consecrated oil, and Prest. [John] Taylor was anointed K[ing]. P[riest]. R[uler]. of C[hurch]. Z[ion]. & K[ingdom]...

Edited by stn9, 27 August 2008 - 05:24 PM.

#3 PacMan

PacMan

Brings Forth Plants

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

Ever get the feeling that you're simply out of the loop, and that everyone is contently smiling as they pass you by?

No? Well...you should.

:P
2010 - The man behind the mouth.

"All I ask of you is one thing: Please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." --Conan O'Brien

#4 DonBradley

DonBradley

Individualist in the service of a community

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

Hey Stn9,

I just saw this (which shows how often I'm here these days, eh?). Most of the JS sermon quotes you give appear to me to refer to the second anointing, which Joseph received in the Anointed Quorum on September 28, 1843, rather than to his more political anointing in the Council of Fifty. I think it's important to keep the two separate. No doubt Joseph saw the former anointing a necessary prerequisite to the latter, but the context and significance of the two seems quite distinct. One was sacerdotal in context--the temple-linked Anointed Quorum, and necessary to his own salvation; the other was regal/political in context--he was anointed prophet, priest, and king over Israel and was preparatory to the full establishment of the political kingdom of God.

Thanks for providing the quotes and at least attempting to open an interesting line of discussion! :-)

Don
"I’ve known Don a long time and have critiqued his previous work and have to say that he does much better as a believer than a critic." - Dan Vogel, August 8, 2011

"This is it folks, the high point of apologetics for the year. The church pumps millions into FARMS and its PR dept for this." - "Heresy," on a nameless board, August 11, 2011 - after reading the Deseret News piece about my Kinderhook plates presentation

#5 stn9

stn9

Separates Light & Dark

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

I think the last 5 quotes refer to the second (1844) anointing. Am I misreading this? And if you have any other documents or quotes to add, please do. I would be grateful for the addition.

#6 DonBradley

DonBradley

Individualist in the service of a community

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:55 PM

I think the last 5 quotes refer to the second (1844) anointing. Am I misreading this? And if you have any other documents or quotes to add, please do. I would be grateful for the addition.

Agreed.

I may have seen available sources on this; but if so, I can't remember. But these quotes are certainly sufficient to show that there was a regal anointing performed for Joseph Smith in the Council of 50.

Don
"I’ve known Don a long time and have critiqued his previous work and have to say that he does much better as a believer than a critic." - Dan Vogel, August 8, 2011

"This is it folks, the high point of apologetics for the year. The church pumps millions into FARMS and its PR dept for this." - "Heresy," on a nameless board, August 11, 2011 - after reading the Deseret News piece about my Kinderhook plates presentation

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users