Seriously No Politics ×

Christ Was A Man And Became A God?

JohnBWalt

I purchased the book "I Have An Answer" by Dr. David Pressley Bowman at the FAIR book store.

It says on page 93 that "It is not hard to believe that God was once a man when we realize that Christ was a man and became a God."

Why would he say that when Mosiah 7:27 and 13:34 says Jesus is God before taking on human flesh?

John Walt

I purchased the book "I Have An Answer" by Dr. David Pressley Bowman at the FAIR book store.

It says on page 93 that "It is not hard to believe that God was once a man when we realize that Christ was a man and became a God."

Why would he say that when Mosiah 7:27 and 13:34 says Jesus is God before taking on human flesh?

John Walt

Is becoming a God a strictly serial process?

Zakuska,

Its simple.... Christ was a God who became a man and then became a God once again. He isnt speaking about the whole process... just the last leg. Its all relative to where you start in the cycle.

Its simple to see you are not being consistent with the Bible, the Bible says:

1Tim.2

[5] For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

1Tim.3

[16] And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Yet Christ claimed he was the Son of God not God himself.

Matt 16

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

It looks as if your dogma is not consistant with the Bible Johnny.

Zakuska,

Yet Christ claimed he was the Son of God not God himself.

Christ is the Son of God, Thomas also said to him "My Lord and my God". Jesus is "I AM", the Son of God and God himself.

John.20

[28] And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

[31] But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

It looks as if your dogma is not consistant with the Bible Johnny.

It is completely consistent with scripture, 1Tim.3 says "God was manifest in the flesh".

Jesus did not BECOME God ...

No it not Johhny... because even the ressurected Christ maintained that God was other than himself.

John 20: 17

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Zakuska,

No it not Johhny... because even the ressurected Christ maintained that God was other than himself.

Like I said earlier Jesus is the Son of God, he has a God (John 20:17).

Again Mormonism is not consistent with scripture ... Jesus did not BECOME God ... 1Tim.3 says "God was manifest in the flesh".

In fact Paul even calls the ressurected Christ... a Man. In your own pet proof text...

1 Tim. 2: 5

5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

PS God being manifest in the flesh doesn't mean that Chirst was God himself.

Weakness is also "manifest" in the flesh but that doesn't make the man a species of weakness. Nor does sin being "manifest" in the flesh make a man a species of sin.

Zakuska,

In fact Paul even calls the ressurected Christ... a Man. In your own pet proof text...

Of course he was a man, he was born of a mortal mother. He also was God.

PS God being manifest in the flesh doesn't mean that Chirst was God himself.

What does it mean?

It clearly shows that he DID NOT BECAME God.

Yes he was God because he had an immortal father. Thus he had the capability to lay his life down and take it up again just as he claimed. But that doesn't make him his own father.

Well lets see he had to be mortal or he could never die. Doesn't the scripture say that he emptied himself from all godliness and really really became mortal... had to learn and grow just like the rest of us... (eg he "learned" obedience) was he not a mere Man that was made perfect.

Heb. 5: 9

9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal csalvation unto all them that obey him;

If christ was Made Perfect at his ressurection then he must have been something less than perfect before that time. And he was because he had the ability to die from his mortal mother.

Zakuska,

Yes he was God because he had an immortal father.

I would agree "he was God" .... he DID NOT BECOME God ...

If christ was Made Perfect at his ressurection then he must have been something less than perfect before that time.

At the resurrection, the man nature of Christ was "made perfect" with a glorified body.

Did you notice how its not the Body that is made perfect but the Spirit.

Heb. 12: 23

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

And Paul still calls him a Man as well as a Quickening Spirit.

Its also intresting to note that All mankind will go through the same process as Jesus Christ.

1 John 3

1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the bsons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Beloved, now are we the asons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall dsee him as he is.

3 And every man that hath this ahope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Becoming the sons of God even gods.

The MAN Jesus did become a God. Because he emptied himself of all that was God...

Philip. 2: 8

6 Who, being in the aform of God, thought it not robbery to be bequal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a aservant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8 And being found in afashion as a man, he bhumbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9 Wherefore God also hath highly aexalted him, and given him a bname which is above every name:

10 That at the aname of Jesus every bknee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Otherwise he could not die.

Saying he was a God who, Became a man in every sense of the word who could die, who then intern-Became a God again is not a contradiction Johhny.

Zakuska,

The MAN Jesus did become a God. Because he emptied himself of all that was God...

Earlier you said he was God, now you are saying he "become a God" ... 1Tim 2:5 says "there is one God" ... and ... 1Tim.3 says "God was manifest in the flesh". You simply are not consistent with the Bible by saying "Jesus did become a God".

Philip. 2 does not say "he emptied himself of all that was God", it says "took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:"

Zakuska,

Earlier you said he was God, now you are saying he "become a God" ... 1Tim 2:5 says "there is one God" ... and ... 1Tim.3 says "God was manifest in the flesh". You simply are not consistent with the Bible by saying "Jesus did become a God".

Philip. 2 does not say "he emptied himself of all that was God", it says "took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:"

Yes earlier i said he "Was" God... Before he came to earth.

Then he Took on the Human Nature... and became able to die. Only then could he descend into the pit and conquer the leviathan. And take his life back up again. Theres the problem Johnny... Gods cant die so unless he emptied himself he would never be able to die and become obedient unto death.

PS. there is one God and its not Christ... its his Father. Christ is the Man the sits between God his father and other men.

Zakuska,

Yes earlier i said he "Was" God... Before he came to earth.

You are not consistent with scripture, scripture says "God was manifest in the flesh". I would agree that he was God before he came to earth. He did not become God.

Then he Took on the Human Nature... and became able to die. Only then could he descend into the pit and conquer the leviathan. And take his life back up again.

Jesus was man, he had a mortal body. When Jesued died, his spirit and body seperated.

PS. there is one God and its not Christ... its his Father. Christ is the Man the sits between God his father and other men.

Who was manifest in the flesh?

It is my bedtime .... I will reply tomorrow ...

1) I am "Manifest" in my son Johhny. That Does not make me my son.

2) But while he was here on Earth he could not Die if he were a God. So he must have been a Man.

3) God the father was manifest through his Son jesus Christ the same way I am manifest through my son.

I am not a fan of this book. I couldn't even finish reading it to tell you the truth. I finally had it when I hit the DNA portion which said that God changed ALL the DNA in the early American inhabitants to trick us today. That was the last straw. All throughout it there were many signs of ignorance. It seems to me that this guy had either just recently became involved in apologetics, or did not keep up on sound arguments. There was no depth to it at all.

So, it doesn't surprise me that he used this verbage.

Archived