Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e=mc2

Zohar Rabbinic Commentary On Shekhinah

Some of you at the FAIR Conference this last weekend asked me about the Zohar and said you wanted to learn more about what it teaches. I have a new research article (actually, already a year old, but just newly posted) on my blog dealing with some aspects of the Shekhinah from the Jewish rabbinical Zoharic viewpoint you may browse at your own leisure and time. It has full documentation and footnotes.

http://backyardprofessor.typepad.com/the_backyard_professor/

One of the things that bothers me about apologetic uses of "rabbinic" texts is that rarely is any effort made to date or point out the provenance of texts except to say that they are "old," "ancient," or "early." Something to think about in future writings of this sort.

from your article:

The principle of female deities has been abundantly demonstrated through archaeology by William G. Dever, among other scholars that could be mentioned.[2] He shows the most recent archaeology which presents Yahweh with a wife, namely Asherah. That has been fairly strongly established at this stage in the game. So God can be married, and women can be Gods, or more correctly stated, Goddesses.

You are quoting archeological finds as if they represented correctly the characteristics of a god. Really it is all speculation. Is it your position that ancient humans knew more about god than we do now? Do you allow any margin of error to what they wrote about their concept of gods... say as influenced by their superstitions and lack of scientific understanding of how our world works? And also for certain have you considered the influence on Jewish deity that the Jews experienced from their pagan counterparts? Do you have any accounting for how Judaism originated from polytheistic origins (like the pagans were at that time) and how it then morphed towards a more solid monotheism? Have you considered that the many gods of Mesopotamia or Sumeria had and held plagerized Jewish counterparts?

Sure, as you state, God can be married, and women can be Goddesses. This stems directly from the first written (pagan, greek etc) accounts we have of what ancient humans thought deity was. God can be and has been anything. God has been and forever will be whatever humans decide it/her/him to be.

I have read the first part of your article. I think, and that may be my first error, that you are suggesting that Mormons may be able to glean a bit of credence to partial Mormon theology that asserts a female ruling goddess over planet earth by studying Jewish female characteristics found in the concept of Shekhinah.

That is interesting, but "out there" stuff. Especially since Jews weren't the originators of the idea. Last I checked, they borrowed that idea from their pagan neighbors multiplicity of gods and goddesses.

Noggin

Good points all Noggin. I am suggesting that the idea and ideology of a MotherGoddess is simply not out of bounds or ridiculous anymore since much has come out, whether in original texts, or through scholarly analysis discussing just these concepts. I know one thing without question, the Trinitarian ideas are not represented via archaeologically discovered and translated texts about El making love with his wives.......

Some of you at the FAIR Conference this last weekend asked me about the Zohar and said you wanted to learn more about what it teaches. I have a new research article (actually, already a year old, but just newly posted) on my blog dealing with some aspects of the Shekhinah from the Jewish rabbinical Zoharic viewpoint you may browse at your own leisure and time. It has full documentation and footnotes.

http://backyardprofessor.typepad.com/the_backyard_professor/

Oy vey!

Are you still a Mormon, Rebbi Schurz?

Uncle "Sophia" and the "messianic wisdom" are another playground where we might do a bit of digging" Dale

Oh sure, I be a Mormon with Jewish interests........woo hoo! And I am, as usual, interested in pretty much all subjects under the sun of religion..........for whatever reasons.