• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 kchulo77

kchulo77

Newbie: Without form, and void

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

I'm not sure if you all have read this yet in the newest edition of LDS Living but apparently while excavating the grouds for the Zion's Mercantile store in Nauvoo they discovered a tunnel only thought to be legend. The tunnel is build with red bricks and temple stones.

Has anyone else seen this? Anyone else no anyting about it or what they have found out? I don't know about you but this is the most incredible thing I've ever heard! Pretty awesome.

http://www.ldsliving...ticles/show/397

Edited by kchulo77, 23 July 2007 - 02:18 PM.

#2 LifeOnaPlate

LifeOnaPlate

Primary Chorister [sic]

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,887 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

I perused the article last night; I thought it said they did not find a tunnel, despite the rumors.
"I think we may accept it as a rule that whenever a person's
religious conversation dwells chiefly, or even frequently,
on the faults of other people's religions, he is in a bad condition."
-C.S. Lewis (Collected Letters Vol. 3 p. 209).

#3 SolarPowered

SolarPowered

Brings Forth Plants

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

I'm not sure if you all have read this yet in the newest edition of LDS Living but apparently while excavating the grouds for the Zion's Mercantile store in Nauvoo they discovered a tunnel only thought to be legend. The tunnel is build with red bricks and temple stones.

Has anyone else seen this? Anyone else no anyting about it or what they have found out? I don't know about you but this is the most incredible thing I've ever heard! Pretty awesome.

LDS Living

Interesting... :P

Also, you need to fix your link. Here is the correct link:

LDS Living

Edited by SolarPowered, 23 July 2007 - 02:19 PM.

#4 kchulo77

kchulo77

Newbie: Without form, and void

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:15 PM

LDS Living

No, they found it and have a picture in the magazine. It is a tunnel described as being built with red brick archways and the same temple stones as the walls.

What I find amazing is that the folks that found it while excavating opened it, looked inside and then called SLC. That is crazy, I would have explored that thing, taken rolls of pictures put a flag on it and called it my own. Then charge SLC admission to get in.

#5 MorningStar

MorningStar

UMW ..... UMB if you're nasty!

• Contributor
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

The Sunstone Tunnel

For generations thereâ??s been some mention, even rumors, of a very old, secret tunnel somewhere near the temple in Nauvoo. Itâ??s been described as having red Nauvoo brick arches and walls that are lined with carved temple stones. Some versions of the story even state that there is a sunstone on one end looking down the length of the tunnel. During the reconstruction of the temple the tunnel was not discovered and the story seemed to fade as perhaps just a legend.

Last year, during the construction of the Zions Mercantile building (right across the street from the temple) again some interest was expressed as to whether a tunnel would be uncovered as they dug their basement. The building was completed last fall, and no such find was forthcoming. That is, until a single sprinkler head needed adjusting.

When the building was all but done, landscapers were installing the final sprinkler heads. One work had some trouble getting one of the heads low enough to avoid mowers. When he tried to dig the hole a little deeper, he hit a block of white stone with carvings on two sides. After some struggle, the stone was pulled out. Removal of the stone revealed an opening. The call came to Salt Lake City, â??There seems to be some kind of tunnel. All we can see are brick arches. . . but itâ??s very deep.â?

The stone was replaced and the tunnel covered up, but not before several photos were taken of the inside. It appears to be eight feet deep and about six feet wide. It disappears in both directions so there is no word on how long it is. Photos reveal that there are red brick arches supporting the ceiling and the walls are actually lined with the same carved stone used for the old temple.

Researchers have plans to open the tunnel this summer. Several enlarged prints of the photos that were taken are on display inside the Zions Mercantile. Once the research is complete, there will be a full feature article in a future issue of LDS Living Magazine.

"Celery is nasty." ~ MorningStar

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. ~ John 13:34

#6 emeliza

emeliza

SSCE/UMW peon

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,419 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

That is really awesome. Sometimes I am in such awe of what our early members were able to accomplish. I wonder what secrets and mysteries they will uncover down there.
When you blame others, you give up your power to change. - Dr. Robert Anthony

#7 LifeOnaPlate

LifeOnaPlate

Primary Chorister [sic]

• Contributor
  • 16,887 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

Good stuff.
"I think we may accept it as a rule that whenever a person's
religious conversation dwells chiefly, or even frequently,
on the faults of other people's religions, he is in a bad condition."
-C.S. Lewis (Collected Letters Vol. 3 p. 209).

#8 selek

selek

Creates Man & Woman

• Banned
  • 10,806 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

Hmmm- no names, no dates, no photographic evidence- just a vague narrative and more data to come later.

The article itself is merely a travelogue capsule about Nauvoo.

Color me skeptical. Rather than a super-secret tunnel running under the temple, this could merely be a musty old cellar abandoned years ago.

I'll wait for the full excavation and analysis, thanks.

Edited by selek, 23 July 2007 - 02:37 PM.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

'Every man is a hero of his own tale....every man must look on himself as wiser and more intelligent and more virtuous than the rest, so how could he see himself as the villain, or even as a minor character?

And you must have noticed that heroes are never beaten. They may be undone for a while, but they always do themselves up again, and marry the virtuous young gentlewoman.'
- Patrick O'Brian

#9 SolarPowered

SolarPowered

Brings Forth Plants

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:42 PM

Hmmm- no names, no dates, no photographic evidence- just a vague narrative and more data to come later.

The article itself is merely a travelogue capsule about Nauvoo.

Color me skeptical. Rather than a super-secret tunnel running under the temple, this could merely be a musty old cellar abandoned years ago.

I'll wait for the full excavation and analysis, thanks.

Actually, it was recently constructed as a publicity stunt for Dan Brown's new book... :P

#10 Jan

Jan

Deluded, Down-trodden, & Mindless Mormon Wife

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

This is interesting --- Juliann and I were just in Nauvoo for a week last May with historian Susan Easton Black and we also went to a little "reception" at Zion Mercantile: no mention of this tunnel by Susan or the store owner (unless I was dozing).

Usually Meridian is pretty reliable. I just wonder why we didn't hear about it while we there.

#11 Severian

Severian

Separates Water & Dry Land

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

Hey, don't all really cool old buildings have hidden rooms, secret tunnels and pictures that one can look out the eyeholes?

I know they have tunnels under the SLC Temple. I think I heard there were around seven levels. What about the hidden rooms and pictures with eyeholes? :P
"Thy mercy, Lord, is great
And far above the heavâ??ns.
Let none be made ashamed
That wait upon thee."

#12 selek

selek

Creates Man & Woman

• Banned
  • 10,806 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

Actually, it was recently constructed as a publicity stunt for Dan Brown's new book... <_<

Now THAT I can beleive! :unsure: :angry: :P

Hey, don't all really cool old buildings have hidden rooms, secret tunnels and pictures that one can look out the eyeholes?

I know they have tunnels under the SLC Temple. I think I heard there were around seven levels. What about the hidden rooms and pictures with eyeholes? :ph34r:

You forgot the uber-creepy suits of armor with the axe-thingy!

And where'd you hide the Scooby snacks?

It always comes back to Star Wars or munchies on this board, doesn't it?
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

'Every man is a hero of his own tale....every man must look on himself as wiser and more intelligent and more virtuous than the rest, so how could he see himself as the villain, or even as a minor character?

And you must have noticed that heroes are never beaten. They may be undone for a while, but they always do themselves up again, and marry the virtuous young gentlewoman.'
- Patrick O'Brian

#13 Severian

Severian

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

You forgot the uber-creepy suits of armor with the axe-thingy!

And where'd you hide the Scooby snacks?

Look behind the veil.
Let none be made ashamed
That wait upon thee."

#14 selek

selek

Creates Man & Woman

• Banned
  • 10,806 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:00 PM

Look behind the veil.

For the snacks or the guy in the armor <_< ?

Or Creepy Old Man Vader? :P

Edited by selek, 23 July 2007 - 03:00 PM.

- Patrick O'Brian

#15 cinepro

cinepro

It's pronounced "cinepro"

• Contributor
  • 14,138 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

Usually Meridian is pretty reliable. I just wonder why we didn't hear about it while we there.

That isn't Meridian. It's "LDS Living" which is published by Deseret Book (which is owned by the Church). I wouldn't expect them to get something like this wrong. But you never know...

Edited by cinepro, 23 July 2007 - 04:24 PM.

The LDS Stake Medium Council Blog

In spite of the world's arguments against the historicity of the Flood, and despite the supposed lack of geologic evidence, we Latter-day Saints believe that Noah was an actual man, a prophet of God, who preached repentance and raised a voice of warning, built an ark, gathered his family and a host of animals onto the ark, and floated safely away as waters covered the entire earth. We are assured that these events actually occurred by the multiple testimonies of God's prophets.

The Flood and the Tower of Babel, by Donald W. Parry, assistant professor of Hebrew at BYU, Ensign, Jan 1998, 35

#16 Severian

Severian

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

Or Creepy Old Man Vader? :P

I doubt Lord Vader has a Temple recommend, although he does have the force to confound the bar codes.
Let none be made ashamed
That wait upon thee."

#17 Hoops22

Hoops22

Places Sun, Moon & Stars In The Sky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:15 PM

It always comes back to Star Wars or munchies on this board, doesn't it?

sigh

#18 ed2276

ed2276

Brings Forth Plants

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

No, they found it and have a picture in the magazine. It is a tunnel described as being built with red brick archways and the same temple stones as the walls.

What I find amazing is that the folks that found it while excavating opened it, looked inside and then called SLC. That is crazy, I would have explored that thing, taken rolls of pictures put a flag on it and called it my own. Then charge SLC admission to get in.

:P

Capitalist!!!!

Edited by ed2276, 23 July 2007 - 09:45 PM.

"Forward he cried from the rear and the front rank died"...Us and Them , Pink Floyd

"The grass was greener , the light was brighter , the taste was sweeter , the nights are wonder , with friends surrounded , the dawn mist glowing , the water flowing , the endless river , forever and ever"...High Hopes , Pink Floyd

"We are not human beings
having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings
having a human experience."- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#19 Zakuska

Zakuska

Creates Worlds Without Number

• Limited
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,607 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:09 PM

I vote... abandoned wine cellar.
"Works are necessary for salvation but they do not cause salvation; for faith alone gives life.” -- Martin Luther
"Thus, it is just as impossible to separate faith and works as it is to separate heat and light from fire!" -- Martin Luther

#20 ed2276

ed2276

Brings Forth Plants

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

I vote... abandoned wine cellar.

Another of Joseph Smith's miracles...changing wine into water. :P
"Forward he cried from the rear and the front rank died"...Us and Them , Pink Floyd

"The grass was greener , the light was brighter , the taste was sweeter , the nights are wonder , with friends surrounded , the dawn mist glowing , the water flowing , the endless river , forever and ever"...High Hopes , Pink Floyd

"We are not human beings
having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings
having a human experience."- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users