Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerryp48

Your View On The Book Of Abraham, Jsp, Kep, Etc.

Hello, my brother from California,

Some erroneously believe that it's about some king or God named Horr, sure, there must have been some pic just like the one in Abraham about Horr, but there are hundreds that look the same and are not about Horr.

Hor is actually the name of the deceased for whom the papyrus is written. Since pretty much every papyrus is written for a different dead person, pretty much every papyrus will be addressed to somebody other than Hor. That doesn't mean that other documents of the same variety as the Hor Book of Breathings are substantially different, or that any of them could somehow be hiding the Book of Abraham within their hieroglyphs.

This is interesting info but I would like to see specific passages about what they used from those books because everything that was supposedly so incriminatory about Sibly, Swedenborg and Ethan Smith, since reading about it, is absolute straw.

Basically, what Joseph got from Josephus was 1) the ancient name for Egypt and 2) that Abraham taught astronomy to the Egyptians. I don't think this is "incriminating," but it does provide an explanation for the most interesting "parallel" between the BoA and ancient Abraham sources.

I just want to know what you hope to accomplish by tearing down people's faith?

That's actually not my intent. I want people to have accurate information on which to base their faith decisions. While I do have my opinions about what's true and what's not, it is not my goal to see Latter-day Saints leave the Church. Paul Osborne, for example, is a TBM who embraces the negative evidence on the BoA but just chooses to live with some cognitive dissonance. I respect that. I even envy it a little.

Just a little.

Blessings,

-CK

Basically, what Joseph [may have gotten] from Josephus was 1) the ancient name for Egypt and 2) that Abraham taught astronomy to the Egyptians <snip> I want people to have accurate information on which to base their faith decisions. While I do have my opinions about what's true and what's not <snip> (additions and emphasis added)

In the interest of people having "accurate information on which to base their faith decisions.

California said,

I just want to know what you hope to accomplish by tearing down people's faith? Do you have anything better to offer?

Read what your own prophets have said. Besides, promising more blessings in heaven is meaningless if those blessings won't happen.

Joseph Fielding Smith - Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1 p. 188

Mormonism, as it is called, must stand or fall on the story of Joseph Smith. He was either a Prophet of God, divinely called, properly appointed and commissioned, or he was one of the biggest frauds this world has ever seen. There is no middle ground. If Joseph was a deceiver who willfully attempted to mislead people, then he should be exposed. His claims should be refuted, and his doctrines shown to be false.

Gordon B. Hinckley - Priesthood Session, April 2003 General Conference

Each of us has to face the matter—either the Church is true, or it is a fraud. There is no middle ground. It is the Church and kingdom of God, or it is nothing.

California said,

You know what else makes me wonder: when people get upset at our big expensive Temples. I feel like asking them, ok, how many millions is your piddly little church, (or non-existence or faith or a church), feeding? how many millions are you involved in bringing into a better understanding about the need for the Law of Chasity? The need for humanitarian efforts? The need for stronger families? The need for welfare at home? How many millions are you involved in helping to find hope for a better life? How many millions have you been able to help with education, (perpetual education fund), or how many millions have you led to love others, forsake sin, and love themselves?

Look at how many times you used the word "millions." Is your testimony based on the size of the Church and its accumulation of assets? Don't forget that this Church that feeds millions was once a "piddly little church" with only six members on April 6, 1830. Throughout its history the LDS Church has had its own share of financial struggles.