Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Olavarria

What Was Mohammed?

What was Mohammed?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What was Mohammed Al Quryrashi?

• He was a prophet of God, as legit as Moses
    • He was not a prophet, bu he was inspired by God to teach an ethical monotheism, and spiritually uplift a segment of Heavenly Father's family
    • He was not a prophet, but he was inspired by God to teach an ethical monotheism, and spiritually uplift a segment of Heavenly Father's family
    • He was a false prophet, liar.
    • He was a false prophet, lunatic.
    • He was a false prophet, knowing servant of Satan.

I say option #2

I would say something similiar about the Reformers, Buddha, Confucios, MLK, Hillel and the Founding Fathers.

I can not say yet, I've bought a Quran and I'll read it. After all, who here thinks they can judge who was prophet who hasn't read his words and attempted to be moved by the Holy Spirit? :P

Are not options 2 and 3 the same?

Alan

I am curious what DCP's opinion is I have been for some time, perhaps he will not publically say, would of been good to ask him before Sep 11th, O' well.

DCP has been asked this before. You can probably find his answer(s) in the archives.

I don't think there is a distinction between being inspired to teach a nation and being a prophet.

I don't think there is a distinction between being inspired to teach a nation and being a prophet.

I think you can. The Founding Fathers were inspried yet they are not prophets. All good things come from God, all true principles spring from the light of Christ. Mohammed brought worship of the One True God, 10 commandment style ethics, ended female infanticide among his people. Because of him, you will not find 1 arab worshipping a false god. Because of Mohammed, God's children from Morrroco to Indonesia pray to God. They do not pray to Saints, Jesus, or anyone else. They pray to God.

George Albert Smith

Now this man descended from Abraham and was no doubt raised up by God on purpose to scourge the world for their idolatry.

Parley P Pratt

I am aware it is not without a great deal of prejudice that we, as Europeans, and Americans, and Christians in religion and in our education, so called, have looked upon the history of Mahomet, or even the name; and even now we may think that Mahometanism, compared with Christianity as it exists in the world, is a kind of heathenism, or something dreadful, and the other we look upon as something very pretty, only a little crippled; and for my part, I hardly know which to call the idolatrous side of the question, unless we consider Mahometanism Christianity, in one sense, and that which has been called Christianity, heathenism.

Therefore, in that sense, in the very foundation of their creeds they are idolators; and instead of saying that Mahometanism prevailed against Christianity, and that Christianity was in danger of being done away by its prevalence, we would rather say, that where Mahometanism prevailed, it taught and established one truth at least, viz., the true and living God, and so far as this went, it did preserve people from worshipping idols. And had the crescent waved on the tower of London, or on the church of St. Paul, instead of the cross, and had the Mahometan religion been enforced instead of the Roman religion that was enforced for a series of generations, and had tradition riveted what the sword enforced, then that nation and the surrounding nations would have been worshippers of one true God instead of idols; they would have recognized it in theory at least, whether they would ave worshipped Him in spirit and in truth or not...............Ishmael and his decendants were blessed by the Lord, who said, "I will make of him a great nation, and kings shall come of him, and he shall have dominion;" yet there was one thing not said on the head of Ishmael. It was not said that in him should the elect seed be chosen, who should bear the keys of the eternal Priesthood, and salvation, in which all nations should be blessed: this was said on Isaac, the brother of Ishmael, the heir; and it was also said of Jacob and of Abraham; therefore, the blessings that were peculiar, that pertained to the fulness of the Gospel, that pertained to the eternal Priesthood, that pertained to the coming of Christ, and to the things of his ministry, and to those that were called with the same calling, and in which all nations should be blessed and redeemed, could not be given to Ishmael and to his descendants, but they belonged by election to the chosen seed to whom the promises were made, viz., the children of Abraham through Isaac, and through Jacob; but the Lord said of Ishmael, "I will make of him a great nation, because he is thy son; I will bless him because he is thine, and kings shall come of him." So the Lord seems to have fulfilled, more or less, from those early days until the present, the promises that He made to the children of Abraham, that were not particularly designed to hold the keys of the Priesthood.

All that a nation could have, without the keys of the everlasting Gospel, without the gifts and powers pertaining to those keys, and without the fullness of the Gospel, the people of the East seemed to have been blessed with, so far as the Lord saw fit to bestow upon them blessings during those dark ages. A great portion of the oriental country has been preserved from the grossest idolatry, wickedness, confusion, bloodshed, murders, cruelty, and errors in religion that have overspread the rest of the world, under the name of Christianity, or mystery of iniquity.

http://journalofdiscourses.org/volume-3/

Her Amun, the Founding Fathers didn't start a religion nor did they all claim to be spokesmen for God so I don't think that is a valid comparison. The problem we get into is in defining prophet vs inspiration.

Her Amun, the Founding Fathers didn't start a religion nor did they all claim to be spokesmen for God so I don't think that is a valid comparison. The problem we get into is in defining prophet vs inspiration.

true

If you define prophet as someone who holds the keys to the kingdom, then I don't think Muhammed was a prophet. I do think he was in some way inspired.

I say option #2

I would say something similiar about the Reformers, Buddha, Confucios, MLK, Hillel and the Founding Fathers.

What about the things they said that you don't agree with, such as when they disagree with Mormon teachings? Were they inspired to say those too? Or is that where inspiration was absent and they were speaking as men?

What about the things they said that you don't agree with, such as when they disagree with Mormon teachings? Were they inspired to say those too? Or is that where inspiration was absent and they were speaking as men?

Pretty much.

For me, its all about the ethics. Heavenly Father cares more about what you do(deeds,actions) that what you believe(ie the thoughts you hold in your brain). Thats why it isnt neccesary for Buddha,Mohammed,Confucious or Zoraster to preach the King Follet discourse or John 3:16.

In the end, their really is no such thing as mormonism,christianity,judaism or whatever. There is only truth and error.

The KFD and John 3:16 both happen to be true, and that is why they are part of mormonism.

I have to go with false prophet (and I did vote for one of those options), but I did not like the selections. I'm quite certain on many of the original teachings of Islam but honestly I haven't totally pegged Mohamed to my satisfaction. Perhaps the best way to describe where I stand at the moment is false prophet /opportunist.

I'd like to hear more on the Quran as a corrupted Christian text (which might change the false prophet aspect of my opinion), but it seems that such is being squelched in the media and the world of scholarship simply to avoid a rukus (more PC).

'Her Amun',

He was a prophet of God, and nothing less.

He is a gathering place for all who fall short of Israel, and nothing more.

He is the safety net for all of Abrahamâ??s descendants scattered about the nations if they love peace and make claim and adhere to Islam.

His mission was like unto Moses, but his target was not Godâ??s chosen people.

Jesus was given the call to gather His Israel, and Joseph Smith was the prophet that implemented the will of God and Christ toward that goal and promise. To be His chosen people today, one must choose Christ and His Church. When you adopt the complete Gospel, and act upon the ordinances, you are made part of Israel.

All have a claim to the spiritual descendancy of Israel through Christ. And the birthright of Ephraim and Manasseh continues in the saints of His Church. We are their next generation after Adam, after Noah, after Abraham, after Christ, after Israelâ??s favorite son (Joseph of Egypt), through Josephâ??s sons comparably blessed, and on to the Millennial Reign of one thousand years with our LORD, the returning Jesus Christ.

Any man who clings to a prophet is like a child to his mother. God through the prophet gives life through the Word. And the Word of God that one clings to (meaning obeys) is the starting point and ending point of his judgment before God.

Only maturity of spirit leads to the birthright in Israel.

Zemah

All false prophets point away from the cross, and Jesus is the only name by which a person can be saved.

But mohammed wasn't anti-Christian right? I mean he taught that Christ's teachings should be upheld.

But mohammed wasn't anti-Christian right? I mean he taught that Christ's teachings should be upheld.

Except for the most important teaching of Christ, which is that He is the Son of God, who has existed from everlasting to everlasting, etc. Jesus also taught that He is the only WAY. Any prophet who minimizes or denies the atonement of the Son of God is a false prophet.

Except for the most important teaching of Christ, which is that He is the Son of God, who has existed from everlasting to everlasting, etc. Jesus also taught that He is the only WAY. Any prophet who minimizes or denies the atonement of the Son of God is a false prophet.

Amen. If Muhammad was a prophet, his work was instantly corrupted and perverted for use as a justification for military conquest and oppression of human beings. That would have been an especially bad move on God's part.

Except for the most important teaching of Christ, which is that He is the Son of God, who has existed from everlasting to everlasting, etc.

But Muhammad taught Muslims to turn the other cheek like Jesus did right?

Love thine enemies and all that.

I thought so.

Do you have a Quran verse handy?

I am talking with a friend about this and he insists this teaching doesn't exist in Islam. I always thought he did, but I have to admit I don't recall ever seeing a verse from the Quran to that effect.

No, they do believe he was the son of God, and the great arch-angel. He rejected thats he was thee God (the Father). He lived during a time when Christianity was claiming Jesus was God the Father who came down. That concept violates the entire concept of the effect of the Fall and who the Messiah would be, God the Father can 't be the Messiah, and mediate between God the Father and man if he IS God the Father.