Seriously No Politics ×

Oliver Cowdery: Scribe, Elder, Witness

Daniel Peterson

I want to call attention to John W. Welch and Larry E. Morris, eds., Oliver Cowdery: Scribe, Elder, Witness (Provo: The Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, 2006), an anthology of very valuable articles (previously published by BYU Studies and FARMS) about Oliver Cowdery. It has just arrived from the press.

The seventeen articles -- which include such important items as Larry E. Morris, "Oliver Cowdery's Vermont Years and the Origins of Mormonism"; Matthew Roper, "Oliver Cowdery and the Mythical 'Manuscript Found'"; Brian Q. Cannon, et al., "Oliver Cowdery and the Restoration of the Priesthood"; Larry E. Morris, "'The Private Character of the Man Who Bore that Testimony': Oliver Cowdery and His Critics"; Scott H. Faulring, "The Return of Oliver Cowdery"; and Richard Lloyd Anderson, "Reuben Miller: Recorder of Oliver Cowdery's Reaffirmations" -- are accompanied by a useful chronology and a substantial bibliography.

I would include this volume among such important earlier scholarly books as Richard Lloyd Anderson's Investigating the Book of Mormon Witnesses, Lyndon Cook's David Whitmer Interviews, and Milton Backman's Eyewitness Accounts of the Restoration, and such recent books as Mark McConkie's Remembering Joseph and John W. Welch, ed., Opening the Heavens: Accounts of Divine Manifestations, 1820-1844, as faith-affirming Mormon-historical must-reads.

I want to call attention to John W. Welch and Larry E. Morris, eds., Oliver Cowdery: Scribe, Elder, Witness (Provo: The Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship, 2006), an anthology of very valuable articles (previously published by BYU Studies and FARMS) about Oliver Cowdery. It has just arrived from the press.

The seventeen articles -- which include such important items as Larry E. Morris, "Oliver Cowdery's Vermont Years and the Origins of Mormonism"; Matthew Roper, "Oliver Cowdery and the Mythical 'Manuscript Found'"; Brian Q. Cannon, et al., "Oliver Cowdery and the Restoration of the Priesthood"; Larry E. Morris, "'The Private Character of the Man Who Bore that Testimony': Oliver Cowdery and His Critics"; Scott H. Faulring, "The Return of Oliver Cowdery"; and Richard Lloyd Anderson, "Reuben Miller: Recorder of Oliver Cowdery's Reaffirmations" -- are accompanied by a useful chronology and a substantial bibliography.

I would include this volume among such important earlier scholarly books as Richard Lloyd Anderson's Investigating the Book of Mormon Witnesses, Lyndon Cook's David Whitmer Interviews, and Milton Backman's Eyewitness Accounts of the Restoration, and such recent books as Mark McConkie's Remembering Joseph and John W. Welch, ed., Opening the Heavens: Accounts of Divine Manifestations, 1820-1844, as faith-affirming Mormon-historical must-reads.

Does this include any of the papers that were delivered at the Oliver Cowdery Symposium this last month or so? I wasn't able to attend (had classes) so I wouldn't know. Oh, and I'm registered for your Celestial Ascent class next semester.

Does this include any of the papers that were delivered at the Oliver Cowdery Symposium this last month or so? I wasn't able to attend (had classes) so I wouldn't know.

I don't think that it does. Unless I'm mistaken, all of these are reprints. (But I hasten to add that they're reprints, in several cases, of extremely important articles.) On the other hand, I myself wasn't at that symposium; I was in an airplane bound for Washington DC, I think, when it was held.

Oh, and I'm registered for your Celestial Ascent class next semester.

I'm looking forward to that class. Now if I can just stay home long enough to get the preparatory work done for it that I still need to do.

Do you know Dr. Peterson if the new book which I will buy engages a book called 'The True Origin of The Book of Mormon" by Charles Shook? It is used to claim, falsely IMO, that Cowdery denied his testimony.

His name doesn't show up in the index, but I notice that Shook is cited in at least one of the articles' endnotes. I know that the issue of whether or not Oliver Cowdery denied his testimony is addressed in the volume

...Accounts of the Restoration, and such recent books as Mark McConkie's Remembering Joseph ...

I concur about this book, it's fabulous!!! It really puts a nail in the coffin in a lot of the fantasies that many anti mormons tell about Joseph Smith.

Too bad I lent it out to someone in Utah, and they never returned it. :P<_<:unsure:

Last time I lend books to anyone in that family.

Recently I finished a book about Sidney Rigdon and his excommunication hearing.

It was nice to see some good things about Joseph Smith in it. It gave me a little different perspective than I'd heard before...actually a 180 degree difference.

I went to some of the Oliver Cowdery symposium and I have been invited to guest post on a major LDS blog, so early next week look out for it. I got to meet Larry Morris and we had a good chat. The papers presented will be published but expect it to take a year or so to come out.

I went to some of the Oliver Cowdery symposium and I have been invited to guest post on a major LDS blog, so early next week look out for it. I got to meet Larry Morris and we had a good chat. The papers presented will be published but expect it to take a year or so to come out.

Hey Mo' Fool,

While you were chatting with Larry Morris in the front of the room, I was with the rowdies in the back. :P Nice to almost meet you!

Don

The presentations from this latest symposium are slated for publication as a volume in 2007. One of the presenters told me he'd be surprised to see it published before one year from the symposium. We'll see!

DB

Archived