Seriously No Politics ×

The Full Text Of The William Albright Letter

consiglieri

Man, talk about an obscure reference, structurecop! I remember the song, but didn't know who sang it until I did a google search and discovered (Aha!) the reference (and got the joke).

Now, let's say the Book of Meriamon claimed to be influenced by 1980's Norwegian rock culture, as well as ancient Egyptian. Would we not be equally surprised to find the name of a 1980's one-hit wonder rock group in the pages of the Book of Meriamon as we would be to find a soldier's name being that of an ancient Egyptian pharoah meaning "fighter"?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Only because I cannot bear to let this thread die ...

Put a bullet in it and put it out of its misery - this thread has been dying for a long time. Finding the actual Albright letter proved that the focus of his letter was the Book of Abraham, that he found the BoA to be a poor composition by Smith, that his (Albright's) statements about Egyptian names were not conclusionary, that he didn't make any statement of belief about the origins of the Book of Mormon (ancient or otherwise), and that LDS invocation of his name is weak and rather pointless. Not unlike the beating of this subject to death.

Dear Gervin,

You know, you might have gotten your wish to have this thread die completely away, "leaving not a rack behind," had you not posted anything. As it is, your parting shot managed to spin the issue so severely the cowhide came off.

But you are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to respect your opinion, and at least you posted something! For that I am grateful.

I suppose what makes it hard for me to "let it die" is that I had to go to all that work to locate and post the Albright letter in the first place!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Dear Gervin,

You know, you might have gotten your wish to have this thread die completely away, "leaving not a rack behind," had you not posted anything. As it is, your parting shot managed to spin the issue so severely the cowhide came off.

But you are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to respect your opinion, and at least you posted something! For that I am grateful.

I suppose what makes it hard for me to "let it die" is that I had to go to all that work to locate and post the Albright letter in the first place!

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Hey Consigâ??

Well, I thought Gervin had chided you enough, but apparently not! KILL THIS THREAD!!!

Not really...

But, I'm curious as to which of his points you take exception.

Personally, I'm not entirely convinced about

and that LDS invocation of his name is weak and rather pointless.

And while I do take exception to his use of "conclusionary" as opposed to "conclusive," I do take his point.

Best to you!

CKS

Dear CKS,

You are a tough nut to crack, though I must admit you have been more than gracious in making what concessions you have.

In light of the progress we have made with Paanchi/Piankhi and Pahor(an); and given the fact you have admitted an "increase of interest" with the additional Egyptian name (properly contextualized in the Book of Mormon) of "Aha," let me add something else to the mix.

USU78 above mentioned the challenges inherent in transliterating a non-Latin script text into a Latin-script text, and also discussed the fact that there were no vowels in ancient Egyptian writing, so the vowels must be supplied by the one doing the translation.

In that light, and in consideration of all the foregoing, I would like to bring up the single most famous name in the Book of Mormon; that of Mormon himself.

If we take out the vowels, we are left with the consonants of MRMN. This is also an authentic ancient Egyptian name title, commonly transliterated nowadays as MeRiaMoN, and usually translated as meaning "Beloved of Amon."

Now, the name Mormon does not necessarily show up right next to the name Paanchi/Piankhi in the Book of Mormon, as does Pahor(an), but in an ancient Egyptian inscription called The Stela of Piye, dated to 716-711 B.C.E., we do have the unusual occurence of the name MRMN (transliterated as Meriamon) right next to the name Piankhi--in fact, it was a title taken by Piankhi.

In fact, it is mentioned twice in the opening paragraphs of the rather lengthy inscription. So as to be fair (and because I don't translate Egyptian), I will use the translation from James Henry Breasted in his Ancient Records of Egypt (Chigago: 1906) Part IV, sec. 816:

The Stela of Piye

Year 21, first month of the first season, under the majesty of the King of Upper and Lower Egypt, Meriamon-Piankhi, living forever.

Command which my majesty speaks: "Hear of what I did, more than the ancestors. I am a king, divine emanation, living image of Atum, who came forth from the womb, adorned as a ruler, of whom those greater than he were afraid; whose father knew, and whose mother recognized that he would rule in the egg, the Good God, beloved of the gods, achieving with his hands, Meriamon-Piankhi.

These several Egyptian name-pairs, both within and without the Book of MRMN, are starting to make me think there may be something more going on here than mere coincidence. What say you, CKS?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shame!!!!!!!!!! How dare you laise your argument with facts! :P

Archived