Seriously No Politics ×

Vogel's The Making Of A Prophet

William Schryver

Zeta-Flux:

It sounded, to me, like you were claiming that the document was *nowhere to be found* and that you had checked this yourself. By leaving out the parenthetical phrase "(in the KEP)" you inadvertantly changed the meaning of your statement greatly.

If one includes the context surrounding the phrase "nowhere to be found", it is easily seen what was really meant:

Vogel has made a bold claim regarding something allegedly found in the "Joseph Smith Egyptian Papers." The item he claims is there is nowhere to be found.

I frankly can see no excuse for any misunderstanding of my meaning. I was clearly meticulous, in every instance, to qualify my statement as to where the document was not to be found.

I frankly can see no excuse for any misunderstanding of my meaning. I was clearly meticulous, in every instance, to qualify my statement as to where the document was not to be found.

That's your story and you're sticking to it.

Now what about this part of Zeta-Flux's diplomatic post?

Anyway, what is the point of this thread continuing? Maybe someone should talk to a moderator and get it shut down.

Then again, it's your thread....

That's your story and you're sticking to it.

Anyway, what is the point of this thread continuing? Maybe someone should talk to a moderator and get it shut down.

No one but you handful of Vogel cheerleaders is fooled by his attempt to take quotes out of context and make a case for my ignorance.

And, as to your suggestion that the thread be "shut down", I will simply state that it is my desire that as many people as possible see this thread for as long as possible. It is illustrative of precisely the kinds of things I want believing LDS to understand. That the exmo/contramo crowd might congratulate themselves on what they perceive to be the meaning of the thread is of little importance to me. You guys always see what you want to see. When Who Knows writes things like "I think Will's been embarrassed enough for now", I just chuckle for a moment and move on. That represents his full contribution to this thread. And yours has consisted of little more than to pop in from time to time, snort mockingly, and disappear again.

So, yes, I want this thread to live a long and full life. I only regret that it has veered from its original purpose of identifying other factual errors in The Making of a Prophet. Hopefully Larry Morris' article in the latest FARMS review will touch upon some of them.

No one but you handful of Vogel cheerleaders is fooled by his attempt to take quotes out of context and make a case for my ignorance.

Who is the person taking quotes out of context?

No one but me and a handful of Vogel cheerleaders are following this lovely thread. Where are your supporters? Oh yeah, Charity. Well, she's a diehard for sure. She wouldn't read Harry Potter if it was published by Signature Books.

So you are counting Zeta-Flux among the Vogel cheerleaders? Funny, I always read him as a TBM, and here I thought he was just trying to help out. Apparently things have reached such a level of tension that anyone who doesn't see it your way must be an enemy. Well at least you know I'm always and consistently against you. :P

. . . .

I guess I'll go see if President Packer is calling for the instant execution of all LDS intellectuals ...

. . . .

Do you mind explaining that nasty little sneer? No, nevermind. Just know that it is in incredibly poor taste, especially coming on the day he spoke in General Conference.

Nasty stuff. Play nice or leave...please.

. . . .

I guess I'll go see if President Packer is calling for the instant execution of all LDS intellectuals ... 

. . . .

Do you mind explaining that nasty little sneer? No, nevermind. Just know that it is in incredibly poor taste, especially coming on the day he spoke in General Conference.

Nasty stuff. Play nice or leave...please.

I don't know who you're asking to leave, Argos. I did not make the quote you wrongly attribute to me in the above post. Please correct your error.

Thank you,

LSD

I don't know who you're asking to leave, Argos. I did not make the quote you wrongly attribute to me in the above post. Please correct your error.

Thank you,

LSD

That's funny...how did the mb put your user name and date stamp on it?

See here to refresh your memory and then maybe you'd like to correct your little, um, "error". :P

Thank you,

LSD

That's funny...how did the mb put your user name and date stamp on it?

See here to refresh your memory and then maybe you'd like to correct your little, um, "error". :P

Because you're too lazy to read what you're copying?

Here is a direct quote from the post in question...

LSD: I am not a "fan" of Dan Vogel nor part of his "fan base" and I have never read his work. What I can do, William, is follow a thread.

William: Anyway, this thread has begun to grow wearisome.

Is!

Is not!

Is!

I guess I'll go see if President Packer is calling for the instant execution of all LDS intellectuals ... "

The quote you wrongly or lazily attribute to me was infact made by Will.

LSD

That was from page 10.

Page 10!

Really, this thread should have been three posts:

1. Will Schryver askes a question about Dan's book.

2. Dan answers the question.

3. Will says, "okay, thanks for clearing that up!"

Instead we've got 13 pages of innuendo, accusation, "you said this" and "no, I meant that," and now even the poor moderators can't keep it straight. It's just plain ridiculous. And Will wants it to go on for as long as possible... !

Please, moderators, I'm begging you. Shut it down.

I'm not going to post anymore (on this thread), that's for sure.

TD:

No one but me and a handful of Vogel cheerleaders are following this lovely thread.

Is that so? I find it doubtful. There have been over 3000 views of this thread (more than any recent thread), and yet only 180 posts. Obviously, many more people have followed the thread than have bothered to post. I have observed countless members

TD:

No one but me and a handful of Vogel cheerleaders are following this lovely thread.

Is that so? I find it doubtful. There have been over 3000 views of this thread (more than any recent thread), and yet only 180 posts. Obviously, many more people have followed the thread than have bothered to post. I have observed countless members

Archived