Seriously No Politics ×

Boasting vs. Praising

David Bokovoy

David,

I have found all of your observations absolutely brilliant. Could you do me a huge favor? Would you please, please, PLEASE put together your "Translated Book of Mormon" posts I & II, this post, and any other intriguing information you have writen down into a word document? After doing so, would you please make that word document available for me so I can remember these insights and learn more? You have gift for seeing these things, and I think it would be wise for you to put it together in a format that more people can be blessed by your insights.

The disparity stands out much, much stronger in Hebrew

Hmmm. To me the disparity between [hll] and [hll] sticks out much less than the disparity between "to praise" and "to boast" but perhaps the subtle difference between [hll] and [hll] is lost on me.

But seriously, this seems like a really, really, really loosey goosey connection especially considering the fact that there was an intermediate translation into Reformed Egyptian clouding the water. Now, if we only had a Hebrew-to-Reformed Egyptian lexicon we'd be able to see if such a connection would be expected to survive the intermediate translation.

But I will grant you that Hebrew apparently has a way to express the concept of boasting and praising and there appears to be a section of the Book of Mormon where the words boast and praise appear near each other.

Reminds me how we are told that if they had been able to write in Hebrew there would be greater understanding. Thanks,David.

I just pray that someday those with a heart for God will turn back to the Bible...and seek God out continually.63.gif

I pray that you will someday be able to praise God with your mind as well as your heart....so that you may truly be able to understand it. See how easy it is to use the Bible to insult each other? The problem is, the situation has become so bad that even Evangelical scholars do it to you.

See how easy it is to use the Bible to insult each other?  The problem is, the situation has become so bad that even Evangelical scholars do it to you.

I can certainly understand how some people do this, but are you also trying to dismiss what I posted earlier? If you find my below statement to false, then please correct the errors or my reasoning by providing some uplifting hopeful words found in your canon so that I may show you its already in the Bible. This leaves the gate wide-open for you to change the method of my reasoning...it is a looong weekend, I'm sure we can both afford the time.

I have often asked this very same thing of pseudogratix, but it never happened. Maybe it will be different with you...I can only hope.

Any new revelations from the D&C that are of value, or any of the other standard works can already be found in the Bible

I hope you graciously accept...maybe we can both learn something from this.

Since the Book of Mormon clearly states in the front that it is ANOTHER Witness for Christ, alongside the Bible, we LDS read it TOGETHER with the Bible, not instead of it.

(Just to make sure you understand, asciikerr, because the post above makes it appear that you don't...)

You are absolutely right that everything good in the Book of Mormon is also in the Bible. No argument there.

But should that preclude me from reading any other book that restates these concepts so nicely?

Beowulf

David,

I have found all of your observations absolutely brilliant. Could you do me a huge favor? Would you please, please, PLEASE put together your "Translated Book of Mormon" posts I & II, this post, and any other intriguing information you have writen down into a word document? After doing so, would you please make that word document available for me so I can remember these insights and learn more? You have gift for seeing these things, and I think it would be wise for you to put it together in a format that more people can be blessed by your insights.

Down at the bottom of the page, on the left, you will find a button where you can download an entire thread in a microsoft word document.

Pretty coooolllll I might say. Give it a try!!! :P

You are absolutely right that everything good in the Book of Mormon is also in the Bible. No argument there.

Funny, a friend and I were recently discussing how different Jesus was among the Nephites than in ancient Israel. For example, He called upon the people to bring Him their sick, lame, etc. and He healed all of them; and He called for all the children so that He could bless them one by one. That happened in the Book of Mormon, but not in the Bible. Interestingly, He explains why He could do those things among the Nephites (but not among His own): faith (lack thereof, re the Jews).

As for David's observations and analysis at the beginning of this thread: brilliant. Thank you.

Archived