Seriously No Politics ×

The Roof Falls In On Martha

Pahoran

You could hardly do better than to discontinue the use of quotation marks except for instances when you really are directly quoting somebody or something. Use of them for any other purpose is confusing and potentially deceptive, intended or not.

I think using quote marks is the best way to make a form of expression clear to the reader. And, as I said, I will try and make it more clear in the future.

I think using quote marks is the best way to make a form of expression clear to the reader. And, as I said, I will try and make it more clear in the future.

from the Pickle jar: it might be helpful if, when you're quoting someone or an article, if you use the quote function here, which puts the quote in the little box all by itself. Then it won't be confusing, we'll all know your quote marks don't designate a direct quotation from any source.

I am getting my nitpicky meter all ready to go. I hope it can stand the strain.

If typos are setting it off, we could probably use your meter as a refridgerated cooling fan! :P

Packard is not a typo (defined as a "mechanical mistake made in setting type or in typing"); it is a careless misspelling of a name.

If you must refer to a high Church officer by surname only, please have the courtesy to spell that name correctly.

Sorry.

I guess, in the spirit of this thread, if I concluded that "somethings that are spelled correctly are not very useful" (as everyone obviously knew who I was speaking about), the humor would not be seen. <_<

Anyway, edited so as not to offend the humorless!

I think using quote marks is the best way to make a form of expression clear to the reader.  And, as I said, I will try and make it more clear in the future.

from the Pickle jar: it might be helpful if, when you're quoting someone or an article, if you use the quote function here, which puts the quote in the little box all by itself. Then it won't be confusing, we'll all know your quote marks don't designate a direct quotation from any source.

Except that people who are new to the board -- or who never gave attention to this thread -- won't be in on such esoterica.

Given that the function of language, written or spoken, is to communicate, it would seem the cleanest, most efficient solution is to use quotation marks for their conventional purpose.

If you must refer to a high Church officer by surname only, please have the courtesy to spell that name correctly.

Sorry.

I guess, in the spirit of this thread, if I concluded that "somethings that are spelled correctly are not very useful" (as everyone obviously knew who I was speaking about), the humor would not be seen. <_<

Sorry.

Don't worry. Scott seems to be saying that so long as you include his title, you can misspell his last name all you want. :P

Huh?

The corollary being, if she refers to him by including his high Church office title, then your insistence on spelling his surname right goes away, right? Sorry. It was intended as a joke. One of those "Johnny Carson-bad joke" moments for me (btw, a form of expression, not a quote of Johnny or anyone else).

Sorry.

Don't worry. Scott seems to be saying that so long as you include his title, you can misspell his last name all you want. :P

Huh?

Perhaps Rollo is softening you up for some future defense of Martha. As in, when she told a fictitious tale about a fictitious "Elder Clements," she merely misspelled his surname--but that's okay, since she got the title right. Or something.

Regards,

Pahoran

Archived